Tuesday, April 19, 2011

From My Shame to Body-Perfection

I can't tell you how many times that I have been in the gym working out and I hear a trainer instructing their heavy breathing and exhausted clients on their next exercise and trying to encourage them to "hang in there" or saying " you have at least one more rep' in you" and I turn to check out this trainer extraordinaire hoping to pick up some great new tip to only be shocked and amazed that the trainer looks like CRAP.....

I would turn away in discuss saying to myself and sometimes to others that 'I would NEVER hire a trainer that looked like that.' In my mind it was unthinkable to try and tell someone what they should be doing and you look the complete opposite. That was just CRAZY to me. Now I did not think that he or she had to look like the next Mr. or Miss Olympia, but at least look like you train and that you put into practice what you preach.

I mean this I ranted on every time I saw a so-called trainer that looked like they were the ones that needed trainers. I also felt justified in my rantings, to me it was like going to get my locs done by someone whose hair looked like matted dog's hair. Was not happening. Then when I got into bodybuilding and my body was starting to look pretty tight, that just fueled my rantings and the repulsion for these sloppy looking trainers...

Let's fast forward a bit and one day I have started my own personal training business and was pretty darn good at. To be blessed with knowledge through life experiences through injuries and knowledge gained from whom I would call the cream of the crop type trainers. Then time passes and one morning I look up and say to myself, 'hey you are looking a little soft there...' But I go on and more time passes and then I look again in the mirror checking things out in a new suit. You know the kind that looks like it was tailored for you, showing the broad shoulders tapering down to a narrow waste and I think maaaaaan looking good!

Then more time passes and put on the same suit and it is a little snug but I ignore it and as I am taking that same suit off i hear a voice calling to me saying "hey take a look in the mirror". I slowly turn around and to my shock I have turned into one of "THOSE" trainers!!!!! You know the ones I use to despise!!!! It does not stop there... While getting ready to go out with my wife to an event I pull out this crew neck long sleeve sweater that I like. I leave the room and come back and my wife has put out another sweater for me in its place. She then lovingly begins to tell me about how with women there are certain tops that they should not ware because it can over accentuate their bosoms and I get the lovingly given hint...

The shirt made my already extending belly look even bigger!!!! ARRRRGGGG!!!! Talk about a wake up call! I had become just what I did not want to ever be... One of those that can be placed in the category of "YOU DON'T PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH". Boy did that realization HURT, but it is not discouraging but it is VERY motivating. How could I continue to help and watch others that I have discipled into better physical health only to see my self sliding fast down the hill to physical destruction. I could have easily blamed my health and that can factor in but for me it was not a show stopper...


The only thing holding me back was me. I had the knowledge and knew how to apply it for it to become living wisdom that can be evidenced in my physical appearance. The other wonderful thing about this awakening is that it can apply in every area of our lives. You slack in one place you will slack in others. What seems like a small thing now will turn into a major problem tomorrow. This is not something that I will hide in the closet, my keg of a stomach screams it out too loudly to the world and all the denial won't change it. So I share it with you so that you can know and understand that once you TRULY acknowledge the issue and are willing to face it head on. You CAN overcome it! You can reach body-perfection and stay there.
So I am on my road trip back to the WONDERFUL land of "Body-Perfection" and I welcome you to join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment